Fruitcake Freedom?

Last night, as we usually do while in California, Robin and I went out to dinner with my sister Lisa and her husband Mike. We had a great dinner at Wood Ranch BBQ & Grill. Man was that some good tri tip and barbequed chicken! But I digress. After we ate dinner we stopped at Cold Stone Creamery for a little ice cream to take home to eat while we watch a movie, "Christmas Vacation", I might add!

While at Cold Stone we noticed an interesting promotion they were running. It's called Fruitcake Freedom. The idea is that if you bring in an old unwanted holiday fruitcake they in turn will give you, the fruitcake hating customer, a $5 discount off any 8 inch ice cream cake. Sounds like a good deal! You can read more about the promotion here.

The real grabber at least at the particular Cold Stone that we were at, was that they said that they would be donating all the fruitcakes that came in to a homeless shelter. To that I thought to myself....really?! Now I am all for giving to those in need, but fruitcake?? At the risk of offending fruitcake loving readers of mine I must say, I'm not sure I would wish that on anyone! Cold Stone themselves even says on their web site that receiving a fruitcake is an "unfortunate event."

So I guess if you receive one of those bizarre culinary delights, you can take it in to Cold Stone, but you might just encourage them to use it as a door jam to hold their door open for others in need of a little of their wonderful Sweet Cream flavored ice cream.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I wish I had fruitcake so I could donate it to Cold Stone!

Anonymous said...

after santa comes, we're on the road...first stop...warm sunny LA, save some sun for us.

Chris Steele said...

On a side note, hooray for "Christmas Vacation".


"Are you serious, Clark?"

Brian Vinson said...

I'd rather donate a fruitcake to Stone Cold...

Post a Comment