A Funny Thing Happened

You ever have one of those mornings that just gets off to a bad start? Who doesn't? Today was my turn. It all started at 5:45 am when my son decided it was time to get up and that everyone else should be up as well. He not only was up, he was off his game and not in a good mood. Needless to say that started the day off for all of us on the wrong foot. We were all pretty tired and pretty grumpy. As I drove into the office thinking of all the things on my plate to get done, coupled with the morning I had just had, I was not feeling all that excited.

My routine in the morning is to get into the office, fire up the coffee, and then spend some time alone with God. Recently I have been working my way through 1 Samuel. I have been enjoying the incredible of journey of David, watching how God took a seemingly insignificant individual and raised him to great power and prominence. As interesting as 1 Samuel is, it is filled with a lot of bloodshed, war and terror, something I really wasn't interested in reading, with the mood I was in. Instead, I thought I would just open up the Daily Bread devotional, in hopes of reading something on the feel good side. That is where God's sense of humor comes in.

I opened the devotional and flipped to January 8. The scripture.... 1 Samuel 30:1-6. Incredible! In this passage we read of David and his men arriving at Ziklag only to find that the Amalekites had attacked the city and had taken their wives and children captive. Hmmm......seems David was having a pretty bad day too! At least my wife and children weren't taken captive!
Verse 6 of 1 Samuel 30 reads, "David was greatly distressed because the men were talking of stoning him; each one was bitter in spirit because of his sons and daughters. But David found strength in the LORD his God." Message received!

The devotional went on to talk about how we can find strength in God by remembering all that God has done in our life, and remembering all that God has promised. There is much! I am thankful!

God is good, and I am fine now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment