Wonderfully Awkward

Today is the day of See You At The Pole. Due to the fact that there are many schools represented in our ministry, it is impossible to get to all of them, so I decided to go and pray with some of my middle school students. It was a wonderfully awkward time.

It was awkward simply because the middle school years by themselves are awkward ones. Developmentally they are at a very self-conscience and awkward stage in life. Take that same kid and place them in front of their school around their flag pole and it gets even more awkward. It was wonderful because they were willing to take a stand for Christ despite the staring eyes and rude comments by their fellow peers passing by.

It was such a wonderful honor to stand as the only adult with the small group of students who showed up. It was wonderful helping them introduce themselves to one another, and discovering fellow brothers and sisters. When we bagan to pray, not many of them prayed aloud, but I'm sure they were praying inwardly, and based on the conversation we had afterward, continued to pray throughout their day.

I love middle schoolers. That small group of them were truly seeking to live out the words of Philippians 2:15, "...become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe."

To night is our post SYATP rally with our students. I am look forward to a great night of seeking our God together, and witnessing what He accomplishes through the time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Brian for willing to endure the awkward for the sake of the Gospel. It's a little thing, but it's a big thing at the same time.

Megan said...

I love it, Brian! Despite the rude stares, I'm sure it got some of their peers thinking...

muzik said...

I'm with ya dude. This was my 1st SYATP as a Student Pastor and I was amazed at the pouring out from the students. It was awkward at first but then they went with the flow. Nothing like a few middle schoolers to take the lead. I stood back and made them lead as they should etc... It was amazing.

Post a Comment