A Sad Goodbye

We learned yesterday that Oscar Silvestre the little boy that our ministry has sponsored for six years has moved beyond the reach of Compassion International. We are saddened. What a joy it has been to be a part of his life over the years. Through prayer, giving, and letters, he has played a big part in our student ministry.

As a ministry we have had the privilege of sponsoring five children as well as help sponsor a Breakfast Program in Ensenada Mexico. As a family we also have the pleasure of sponsoring Lizbeth Merced Martinez Alvarez of Honduras. How cool it is to be used of God to be a blessing to those that would otherwise not be able to enjoy the necessities of life that we so often take for granted.

Last night as I watched my son carelessly splash around in the bathtub, as he does most every night, I was struck by the fact that so many in this world do not even have the means to enjoy a tub full of warm clean water. The family we built for this last summer certainly did not. I am so thankful that that is not a concern of my son, and that he does not have to worry about where his next meal is going to come from, or where he will sleep at night. I am blessed to be able to provide those simingly simple necessities.

2 Corinthians 8:9 has been rattling around in my head over the last few months. "For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich." I am thankful that Christ gave up so much so that I might receive so much. I am moved to consider what I might give up so that others might experience the riches of this life and the life to come.

0 comments:

Post a Comment