Communication

In the words of Kip Dynamite, "I love technology." I love the ability to quickly find information and the ability to quickly shoot off an email, text message, or instant message, to communicate with someone. I wonder though, has technology begun to get in the way of the real sense of community that God desires of His people?

In a recent research study by the Pew Internet & American Life Project on the communication of teens, it was discovered that 59 percent of teens prefer the phone, 26 percent like instant messaging the best, 7 percent enjoy text messaging, and 5 percent prefer email. Here's the grabber...only 2 percent indicated that they prefer in-person communication.

This certainly has implications for those of us that minister to students. What is your preferred method of communication? Has technology enhanced your relationships or decreased them?

I am thankful for technology and hope that it will only enchance and not impede the community that we all need and desire.

3 comments:

jeremy postal said...

Here are my thoughts as quickly as possible:
1. People have elevated 'quality' time over 'quantity' time in an effort to spend less time with people.

2. Quality time most often is a result of quanitity time.

3. I will use as many different mediums of communications as possible to develop a high frequency of contact in order to get to quality communication.

IMO.
-Jer

Brian Vinson said...

My preferred method of communication is face to face.

However, e-mail has enhanced my relationships with people who are far away from me, because I just don't like to use the phone much at all.

Anonymous said...

My preferred method is face-to-face also, but my group also utilizes a forum on our website. It's great for private discussions with youth leaders, too.

Post a Comment