Ocean

As Robin and I walked the beach last week in San Clemente we were discussing the attributes of God and how they are seen in nature. I shared with her that I see God's attributes displayed in the ocean more than in any other part of His creation.

When I look at the ocean I am reminded of two aspects of God's character in particular, His power and His peace. The ocean is an awesome display of God's power and a beautiful display of His peace.

The ocean can be very terrifying at times, yet very calming and peaceful at other times.

I can recall many times when I have been out in the surf and the waves grew to be bigger than I am comfortable with. Many times I have been consumed with fear, because I knew I was in surf bigger than I can handle. As I watched the news footage of the horrible destruction brought on by the tsunami in southeast Asia this last year I was once again reminded of how powerful the ocean can be.

Just as one must have a healthy fear of the ocean and a great respect for it, one must also fear God and understand that He is a God of great power, a God that hates sin, a God that is a jealous God when His people are drawn to other gods. A God that holds all things together.

The ocean on the other hand can be very peaceful and soothing. I love to sit on the beach and be lulled into a trance as I watch the waves roll in. I love to walk on the beach on a warm evening and be consumed with the beauty, and majesty of the ocean. It in some way touches my soul, as it does many others. God is the same way. He is a God of peace and desires us to find rest in Him, to trust completely in Him, and be consumed in His peace.

My favorite scripture is Philippians 4:6-7, Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I love to see God. I see Him around me. I especially see Him in the beauty of the ocean. May we all see God everywhere we go, for He is there. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20

Something about the ocean
Makes me rise up and praise

Something about the heavens

Makes me stand in awe again

Something about the sunrise

Reminds me of Your faithfulness

Something about the ocean

And I’m lost in love again
Ten Shekel Shirt

0 comments:

Post a Comment