Cholesterol Beans

As much as I know my wife would love to see it, this is not a post about nutrition, green vegetables or the unwanted fatty little lipids that flow through our veins. Rather this is a post about how what is heard is not always what is said.

Yesterday morning in our middle school class we were doing a study on the book of Jude. Amy, one of our middle school leaders, was dong a great job leading the class, and helping them work their way through the small 25 verse long book. In verses 3 to 14 Jude writes about the sin and eventual doom of the ungodly. Where it got fun is when we hit verse 8. It reads,

"In the very same way, these dreamers pollute their own bodies, reject authority and slander celestial beings."

Amy then had the for sight to ask the students if they understood what "celestial beings" were. Since most were unsure, she shared with them that they are angels. No sooner had she explained that, one of our 8th grade girls boldly declared,

"Oh! I thought you said, Cholesterol Beans!"

I love middle schoolers! I love their honesty, and that they have no fear of sharing what is on their mind.

After we all got a really good laugh, I was reminded of how important of a job I have. It is easy to think that our students already know and understand much of what we do, yet they don't. I am reminded of the awesome responsibility we as teachers have, and why James tells us not many of us should presume to be teachers (James 3:1).

Oh, and I'm pretty sure beans do not have cholesterol!

1 comments:

Darin Swanson said...

You had me scared for a moment after all those beans at the Chili Cookoff :-)

Post a Comment