Grace and Truth

I am about half way through Randy Alcorn's book The Grace and Truth Paradox. It is a short little book that packs quite a bunch. It deals with the apparent conflict that exists between grace and truth. He contends the conflict exists because we lack the perspective to resolve the conflict. Alcorn states, "We should never approach truth except in a spirit of grace, or grace except in a spirit to truth. Jesus wasn't 50 percent grace, 50 percent truth, but 100 percent grace, 100 percent truth." (John 1:14)

Through an amazing analogy, Alcorn illustrates the power of God's grace.

Imagine a great an generous king. In the midst of his benevolent reign, he hears that his subjects have revolted. He sends messengers to investigate. The rebels kill them. So he sends his own dear son, the prince. They murder him viciously, hanging his body on the city wall.

What would you expect the king to do now? Send his armies and take revenge, right? Kill those rebels! Burn their villages to ashes! The king certainly has both the power and the right to avenge himself.


But what if the king turned around and offered these criminals a full pardon?


"I will accept my son - whom you murdered - as the pyment for all your rebellion. You may go free. All I require is for you to admit your transgressions and embrace my son's purchase of your forgiveness."


We'd be stunned - blown away - to hear this, wouldn't we? But the king's not finished.


"I invite any of you to come live in my palace, eat at my table, and enjoy all the pleasures of my kingdom. And I will adopt you as my own children and make you my heirs, so everything tht's mine will be yours forever."


Incredible.


Then he says, "I won't force you to accept my offer. But the only alternative is spending the rest of your life in prison. The choice is yours."


That is a grace that is hard o comprehend. That is the grace we have been given. Yet some still want to point a finger at God and call Him unjust and unfair.

0 comments:

Post a Comment