Affluenza

Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.

Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.

Know that the LORD is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his ;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.

For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.
Psalm 100

Why is this so hard at times? Why in America, the land of luxury, do we still find things to complain about? I often fall victim to the "If onlys." If only I had more money. If only I had a bigger house. If only I had a newer car. If only I had... I believe this kind of thinking breaks the heart of God. Here in America we are a very blessed people. We are rich, yet we have a bad case of affluenza.

In one week I leave with our Mexico Outreach Team for 11 days in Ensenada, Mexico. This will be my 11th mission trip to Mexico. I love the experience for so many reasons. One of those reasons is that it seems to have a recalibrating effect on my life. To be with the wonderful people of Mexico is to see God. God is at work there. God speaks to me through the people. God speaks to me through the culture. I see people that have so little in life, as compared to what I have. I see those same people with smiles on their faces and hands wide open desiring to give and to bless. I see the struggles they face each day just to meet their basic needs, and it causes me to look a little closer at my life and consider what really is important. It causes me to recalibrate my life and bring it in closer to what I believe God desires for me.

I recently came across this video on Rodney Olsen's blog. It's a promo video for World Vision's Australian 40 Hour Famine event. It really helps put these things into perspective. Watch it and you may see the need for recalibration in your life as well. On a side note, what does it say about us in America that also do this same event, but rather than being a 40 hour famine it is only a 30 Hour Famine?

1 comments:

tonymyles said...

That's the right stuff, dude.

Post a Comment