Culture of Fear

Today's date is 6-6-06 and I am amazed at how many people are living in fear because of that! Today is 666, it must be evil right? Well for starters the date is actually 06-06-2006, that right there should help put some things into perspective.

Today at my daughter's high school there were 400 students missing. It seems that there were rumors circulating that something terrible was going to happen on 6-6-06. As I arrived at the school to drop her off, we were greeted by an obvious police presence as well as the media. The police to help calm fear, the media, to help spread it! See the story here. A nearby middle school looked the same.

I also heard a report recently of expectant mothers who were due today, arranging their deliveries for different days, inductions, c-sections, etc.

We live in a culture of fear. The devil is in the business of striking fear into the hearts of people and does a great job. Jesus on the other hand is in the business of releasing us from fear.

The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?
Psalm 27:1

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

I am thankful that I am a child of God, a God that is bigger than any "scary" date on the calender, a God that is also bigger than a rumor designed to instill fear in people.

Because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.
Romans 8:14-16

2 comments:

Joanne said...

At Knott's we had Buena Park PD. In the past on dates like 2-2-02, 3-3-03 it seemed to be senior ditch day and they came to the park and fought. Nothing at all different today. Good times.

Michelle said...

They know about the number 666, but if they had read the Bible, they would have known that the date of 06-06-2006 would have been just another day. Just another example how the devil plays and preys on the ignorance of man.

Post a Comment