Perspective

I love the people of Mexico. I lead a trip to Mexico each summer to build a house and share the love of Jesus with the wonderful people there. I received a letter today from a missionary couple that we have ministered with, in Ensenada Mexico,

One of the paragraphs in their letter really captures my heart for the Christmas season. Here it is...

This year as I have looked around at my surroundings I have noticed that some of the poorest homes have a strand or two of Christmas lights. Something to call attention to the season. It is fun to see their Christmas spirit come alive. There probably will be no Christmas tree in the front window or a warm fire in the fireplace or not even a present to be found but I can guarantee you there will be a tamale or two on every table. There will be joy and family and Jesus in the manger to point them to the most important reason for the Season "Jesus was born in Bethlehem." I love it here just for the simplicity of it all and how gifts and money don't get in the way of the true meaning of Christmas. There is no big build up or no big let down just a special day to be with family and celebrate the Savior.

Our culture of affluence has robbed us of the pure joy of Christmas, and in many ways of the pure joys of life. The people of Mexico don't have all the stuff that we have. The stuff that gets in the way of what is important, that being relationship. We have a lot to learn from them.

May we this Christmas season maintain a proper perspective of that which we celebrate...Jesus was born in Bethlehem.

0 comments:

Post a Comment